Monday, December 7, 2009

We Must Never Forget


On this day I reflect that I was seven years of age when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. I remember people discussing this horrible event. Of course over the years I learned a great deal more about it. My point regarding this personal observation is this. Most people younger than I have no personal memory of Pearl Harbor, and a very high percentage of people today are younger than I. So if the memory is to be kept alive, it must be inculcated into the minds of the coming generations.

Collectively, we forget at the peril of freedom and the life of the nation.

USS Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor, HI. Directly behind is USS Missouri and to the left, USS Peleliu. I have had the sobering experience of visiting the Memorial, and at an earlier date I was privileged to board the Missouri when she was in Bremerton before she was recommissioned.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

We all seem to forget the sacrifices made for us far to quickly.
Blessings, andrea

vanilla said...

Cliched though it may be, Freedom isn't free. It is bought at a steep price. Vigilance!
And blessings to you, Andrea.

Secondary Roads said...

As I was only 15 months old, I don't remember that day. My doctor asked me about it today. My memories are only personal snippets from the last half of that conflict.

I do remember that the WWII memorial in our small town (pop. 2000) displayed the names of most of the men of my father's generation. Several had stars to indicate that they had fallen.