Thursday, August 2, 2018

Revival of Throw-back Thursday-- Way Back

BBBH and I were working in the yard on this sunny and as  it turns out quite hot afternoon.  She was tidying up the secret garden, I was edging and so forth with the string trimmer, or weed whacker, or whatever nomenclature suits your personal preference.  Power trimmer, and my mind leapt back to the summer of 1947.

Other than the mowing oI the school yard for which I got a quarter per week in the spring and summer, financial resources for this youngster were limited.  Since there are always RC colas and Planters Peanuts to be enjoyed, and Mechanix Illustrated to be purchased, an opportunity for a few extra quarters was a welcome boon.  Or so I thought when the elderly lady who lived just there on the corner of Cooper Street offered me twenty-five cents an hour to cut the weeds in her back yard.

I showed up on the job site promptly at eight in the morning, as agreed.  She took me to the tool shed from which she took a scythe and handed it to me.  I, a lad, and the implement built for a full-grown man.  And the weeds were full-grown, too.  Just to make it clear, it was a scythe, not a sickle, and if you don't know the difference you are either much too young or much too urban to truly understand the import of that.

To the best of my recollection, I worked four hours, the lady was satisfied, I was exhausted, but oh! that dollar!  What a treasure!

Also, that was the summer that my baby sister, Ilene, was born on this date.  Happy birthday, Ilene!

(Two years later I went to work for Western Union, sixty-five cents an hour.)

 Image: Wikipedia.  I went to the shed to get my scythe and could not
find it.  How can one misplace something that large?  Poltergeist!

5 comments:

Lin said...

Sheesh! Can you imagine handing a child that thing nowadays?? You could have nicked yourself and sued the pants off her. Heck with the dollar! (That is today's thinking)

vanilla said...

Lin, I guess I was born seventy years too soon. bwahaha!

Vee said...

That was a lot of money back then. I thought getting a nickel candy bar (rare treat) to share with my brother was a big deal.

Things changed when a baby sister arrived in our home, including me becoming the "baby-sitter in residence." Happy Birthday to my little sister, a baby doll back then and a sweet adult sister now.

Secondary Roads said...

I still have a scythe. I know how to use it properly, but haven't for years. Nor do I expect to use it for its intended purpose again.

Ilene said...

Thanks Bro and Sis!