Sunday, August 26, 2018

A Tale of Two Men in Egypt


Then Moses called for all the leaders of Israel. He said to them, “Pick out a lamb or a young goat for your families, and kill the Passover animal.  Take the branch of a hyssop plant, dip it in the blood which is in a bowl, and put some of the blood on the top and sides of the door frames of your houses. No one may leave the house until morning,  The Lord will go throughout Egypt to kill the Egyptians. When he sees the blood on the top and sides of the door frame, he will pass over that doorway, and he will not let the destroyer come into your home to kill you. --Exodus 12:21-23 (GW)

On the afternoon of the 14th, neighbors Amos and Hezron each of whom had killed a young goat, were in the front of their houses daubing the animals' blood onto the lintels and doorposts.  Amos looked over and said, "I am so frightened; terrified, even."

"But," Hezron responded, "you are painting the blood on the door frame, even as Moses told us to do.  God promised you will be protected.  Nothing to worry about."

"I know," replied Amos, "but I have only one son, and if I should lose him I simply don't know what I would do!"

The men closed themselves with their families into their homes, ate the Passover meal just as Moses directed.  The Death Angel passed through Egypt as foretold.

Which of the two men lost a son? 


**********




Neither of them.  Both followed the Lord's directive, both were prepared.  Human emotions do not abrogate salvation.


6 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

right. I was trying to figure out if it was a trick question.

Sharkbytes said...

PS- allow me to extrapolate. I get really tired of having it implied that those who are less emotional about their faith don't really love God.

vanilla said...

Sharkey, I truly appreciate your comment. I grew up in a church environment in which emotional displays were not uncommon. I do not doubt the sincerity and deep feelings expressed, but I also do not doubt that those Christians quietly living out their faith in the day to day walk with Christ are performing their mission as Jesus directed. We are all different.

Secondary Roads said...

My missionary uncle used to decry emotionalism. He was educated and served in the same tradition as the church in which you grew up.

vanilla said...

Chuck, feelings are not a reliable indication of ones relationship with the Master. This is an issue we could discuss thoroughly over some good coffee. And some donuts.

Sharkbytes said...

Thank you!