Saturday, November 21, 2015

Here We Go!

Omg! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

So led the eleven o'clock local news feeds.  The meteorologists were in their element, waving their hands over their magical maps, gesticulating wildly as they predicted the first "snowstorm" of the season due upon us in a mere two hours or so.

The city has already loaded a kabillion sand trucks!  The county is ready with a jillion snowplows, all DOT employees are on standby!

And so it is that our society has made pansies of its citizens.  Whoopdedoo.

Finally the forecast:  an inch or less in this band, one to three inches in this one.

My desire: that none of this will eventuate and the governmental entities can save their sand and their dollars for a time when it is needed.

The reality:  awakening to the new day I find that the amount of stuff we got is (wait for it!)

ZERO!

11 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Weather forecasts . . . full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

kc bob said...

Days like these that I wish I was able to snowbird it for a few months.

Grace said...

I love our local weather people, they are so spot on almost all the time. When they are wrong they aren't wrong by much because there are so many updates - the only reason we watch the local news - the excellent weather reports. And it's not like the weather is a big factor in our lives since we go no where but the grocery store.

vanilla said...

Chuck, it is much ado about nothing.

KC Bob, yes. We have been thwarted yet again this winter and will be staying in the Midwest due to health issues. Learning whatever my lot, therewith to be content.

Grace, and here am I, all red-faced for although it started eight hours later than the forecast, we are "getting it" now. I stand by my basic premise, though, that all the hollering about the weather is show-biz.

kc bob said...

Health issues have been an issue for us for the past several years. That said, I believe that I am learning to perfect the art of the 24x7x52 staycation! ツ

Lin said...

Isn't it crazy? The only preparation I did for the BIG STORM was to finally dump my pumpkins in the garbage. Then we made a nice dinner, turned on the fireplace for the cat and waited.....and waited.

Finally got about 5 inches, but somehow...we survived. Miraculously.

vanilla said...

KCBob, issues of contentment and gratitude are discussed in Philippians 4 on which this morning's sermon was based. I am working on it.

Lin, it is amazing how the merest suggestion that the sky may fall drives people willynilly into full scale panic. You survived and probably enjoyed the tranquility of the wait.

kc bob said...

Sometimes contentment is misconstrued as resignation. A better word (for me anyways) is optimization - making and living the very best in whatever situation we find ourselves.

vanilla said...

KCBob, I suppose that for one who shrugs and says, Well, that's just the way it is, and makes no effort to appreciate (optimizing), resignation might be mistaken for contentment. But that would be sad, don't you think? Most things that are worthwhile require some effort. Blessings.

kc bob said...

That would be sad v. Earlier today I shared a bit more about it on my blog.

vanilla said...

KCBob, your have stated the case succinctly and beautifully. I encourage readers here to click your link.