Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Clif, Church and the Unknown

I did a series about the Pratts of Pineville two years ago.  This has lain dormant in my drafts folder.  My intention was either to continue the series or to conclude it in some reasonable way.  I never got around to proofing and completing this, so it seems we may now infer that the Pratt story ends here at the kitchen table. 

A few days after Darren had visited Clifton's chicken ranch, twenty chickens and a goose, Darren invited Clifton over to his house for a Saturday romp around.  Clif said, "I ain't never been to no preacher's house."

"You probably have never been to a church, either."

Saturday morning, a bright day, promising cheer, warmth, and good times.  Clifton showed up at the Pratt's back door just as Mrs. Pratt stepped out to drop a trash bag in the bin.  "Hi, there!  You are Clifton, aren't you?"

"Yes, ma'am and you kin call me Clif."

"All right, then, Clif.  Get on in here.  Hotcakes and bacon on the table!"

"Oh, Miz Pratt, I never thought to you feedin' me."

"Of course we are going to feed you."

Darren was all excited that Clifton was going to spend the day with him.  Darlene was not so pleased, but she resolved to behave herself, at least for a while.  "Hey, Weasel," she greeted the visitor.  "This little twerp is my sister, Mindy.  You have met Mom, and Dad will be here soon's he finish shaving.  Sit down."

The four kids seated themselves at the table.  Mrs. Pratt poured six glasses of orange juice and seated herself just as Edwin entered the kitchen.  "Morning, All!"  His cheery, booming pulpit voice so early in the day.  The kids all muttered a "Morning," and Dad seated himself.

As the Pratt family all linked hands around the table.  Clif was a bit puzzled as Darren reached for his right hand while Mrs. Pratt was taking hold of his left.  But he caught on quickly and joined in as they all bowed their heads and Edwin greeted the Lord in thanksgiving.

Clif could hardly believe the huge stack of pancakes on the platter, but they were all quickly transferred to the six plates around the table.  Another batch was cooking on the griddle as they buttered the first batch!  Oh, my!





3 comments:

Lin said...

Great to see you posting again! And following up on the story line.

Secondary Roads said...

I remember mornings like that and how good those pancakes were. Yum!

vanilla said...

Lin, thank you. I hope I can generate some stuff, at least from time to time. We shall see.

Chuck, loved those days when a big ol' pancake breakfast included bacon rashers and loads of maple syrup. Oh, a few days ago I did make potato cakes! Mashed taters, and egg, some chopped green onion and some grated cheese. Yum!