Saturday, September 12, 2020

Old Negatives and Wonderful Friends

Two years ago BBBH and I visited my sister and her husband in Kansas.  They have since moved to Idaho.  Too much detail, I know, but I miss being able to jump in the car and see them at the end of a day's drive.  Proceeding with accounting for the pictures.  While we were there Vee said to me, "I found some old negatives and would really like to know what is on them."  Hey, what are big brothers for?  I told her I thought I could "develop" them digitally, and lo, for once I was able to deliver.

This is a photo of our good friends, Win and Esther Brown.  As children we developed a close bond with these people.  Esther stayed in our home briefly long ago.  Winfred, in later life known as Win, was in the army and served a tour of duty in the European Theater.  He survived battle encounters and ultimately returned to the States, was honorably discharged and came to our city to pursue a degree in the Bible College of which our Dad was President.  Win and Esther went into the ministry and served as pastors of three or four churches on the district.  Later Win was elected District Superintendent.  We maintained contact with these people over the years.  Esther passed on to her eternal reward in 2002 and Win joined her in 2013.  He lived alone the years following Esther's passing. He repaired clocks (finally having to turn down business because too many people wanted his services) and worked in a funeral home as a driver and assistant in services.


This is Win as a lad with his dog.  This would probably have been six or seven years before we met him.

This is Esther's high school graduation   Win and Esther were both natives of Morland, Kansas and her memorial is in Morland Cemetery along with that of Winfred who passed later. 


There were other pictures in the pack of negatives but I have made these three snapshots an opportunity to pay tribute to two kind and loving friends.


4 comments:

Grace said...

And you're not going to tell us who these folks are?

vanilla said...

Grace, maybe if I knew. Sister and I found some negatives in a book, she scanned them and emailed them to me. I reversed the color field in Paint so we could make them out. I posted them here for her, the plan being to take them down when she is finished with them. Why did I not email them back, you might ask. Seems the feature on my email that allows attachments is wonky.

Vee said...

Great memories. Even their daughter and her husband were unable to identify the people in some of the pictures. Since you are posting again, I will start regularly checking your site.

Secondary Roads said...

Thanks for introducing Win and Esther. Theirs is an interesting story.