Monday, June 13, 2016

Take it away! Please.

 I wrote this little piece and posted it on STSTT six years ago yesterday.  Maddening as it is, the use of the hated expression has only gotten worse, i.e., more frequent, more pervasive.

You may say take it to the bank, or take it on the chin; take it away! or take five. Take me out to the ballgame. Take your time; take a letter, or take a picture. Take it easy, take me home. Take the A-train, take me to Rio. Take me out to dinner or take me out of the game.

I brought you into the world and I can take you out (Mama said). Take it off! Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

But whatever you do, FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS SAKE, DON'T SAY TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

4 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Amen, brother! I dislike cliches and that is, in my opinion, one of the worst. It doesn't even make any sense [to me].

vanilla said...

Chuck, you are so right. Grates on my nerves. Do we take it down a notch? Do we ramp it up?

Vee said...

We live in a world of "gamers." If they want to win, they must "take it to the next level."

vanilla said...

Vee, I suppose we all have our own pretend worlds in which we live. The gamers, though, should keep their terminology in their own little world.