Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Maddening

A bit maddening, not life changing.  Well, except for the roses.  Two of our pink roses, two different cultivars, reverted back to the flower of the root stock.  We already had one such bush which we allowed to thrive because the flowers are pretty.  But the need for such roses is somewhat limited and it is safe to say that we are disappointed.

 This was a miniature pink rose which has graced our front walkway for several years.  It has been gorgeous.  Now this.

 This is a cultivar called "Simplicity."  It is a single pink rose most often used for hedges.  Not so pink anymore.  I think there is one branch of the hybrid rose surviving.  Perhaps by ruthless cutting back of the undesired branches I can preserve the plant.  Worth a try?

This is a part of the "mound" in the front yard.  You know mounds.  In the flat, featureless area in which we live, many people build these things in their yards just for the el-evation of it.
Anyway, I think these flowers very pretty though I've no idea what they are called.  I am sure that most gardeners would simply say "weed."  They are quite invasive and have to be controlled by root removal on a regular basis. They do offer these pretty blooms for an extended period of time.

Happy June First!

7 comments:

Grace said...

That's my theory of gardening - if it's green, then it's grass, you can call it crabby if you like, but it's green. It has a flower? Then that's what it it, you can call it a weed if you like. Happy June (only 7 more days till your last bit of fine tuning)

Secondary Roads said...

Looks like an old fashioned rose, but I'm no expert.

vanilla said...

Grace, so if it is green, mow it. There is comfort in knowing my friends are thinking of me. Here's hoping and praying for desired results.

Chuck, most hybridizers use root stock from a handful of very hardy old fashioned roses, so yes.

Lin said...

It's all a big giant experiment...do you cut it back? Or let it go and do its own thing? Hmmmmm.....

vanilla said...

Lin, yeah, well I did not cover them with cones or buckets this winter and likely the graft died down to the original root which in turn provided us with what you see here.

Vee said...

Disappointing to lose a favorite, but I love colorful blooms, even if they are roses gone "wild." A reflection of who I am, maybe?

vanilla said...

Vee, the rogue blossoms are quite attractive but, as I said, one needs only so many of them.