Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The More Things Change

In Elbridge Paige’s book of Short Patent Sermons published in 1841 we find
    [There are those] who would rather ride to hell in a hand-cart than walk to heaven supported by the staff of industry.
 Things haven’t changed much, have they?


Sharkey points out in the comments that language changes.  I, personally, am old enough to remember when "industry" did mean application of oneself to productive behavior.  Thus it did not occur to me to think in terms of current usage when I read the above line.  Old guy.

4 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

True, but what did he mean? Oh! I get it. He means "industry" as work hard, not advancing technology. Words do tend to slide in meaning.

vanilla said...

Sharkey, thank you. I have written an addendum pointing out this "change" in usage.

Secondary Roads said...

If there be any "tender bowels of mercy," they will forgive and forget.

vanilla said...

Chuck, another lesson in archaic language?