Friday, December 21, 2012

To the End of Time

STSTT Post Number 1400

I have not done any research regarding the Mayan calendar and the apocalypse.  I have not posted an advance warning of our supposed demise.  You are reading this, which does nothing more nor less than to demonstrate to you that the world is still here.

I think the foofaraw is largely the fault of simple misunderstanding of events.  From what I have heard (one could not avoid hearing some of this) it appears that December 21, 2012 is the last day of the Mayan calendar.  The misinterpretation is this:  some have assumed that because it is the last day of the calendar, it is the last day of the world.  All it really means is that the workmen finally tired of the chore of chipping and carving, laid down their tools and said, "The heck with it, let's go for a swim and a cold beer."

Have you never left a task unfinished?  Of course you have.  The only portent for the future is that that task was left unfinished (and that maybe someone else will have to do your job for you).

Happy December 21, and a Merry Christmas, and may the rest of 2012 be filled with good things in your life.

11 comments:

Jim said...

In other words, this was the Mayans' Y2K bug.

Lin said...

It was a Friday, I'm assuming and they were as fried on work as I am right about now.

;) I like the idea of the swim and a cold beer.

Shelly said...

It was much ado about nothing. And I have a new word to add to my favorites list: foofaraw~

vanilla said...

Lin, I hope you get a well-deserved rest from your labors; and I really hope you don't have to get out on those roads on a day like today.

Jim, yes, that would be the pre-electronic glitch.

Shelly, you are welcome. I've no ideas about its derivation, but it has been in my lexicon for some time.

Secondary Roads said...

I like your explanation. I saw a cartoon yesterday with two Mayan men. One said to the other, "Let's go get a beer." The other said, "I'm not through with this calendar . . . but it won't the end of the world if I don't finish."

I can only assume that they went for beers.

Anonymous said...

I posted this as my status on FB first thing this morning - "I'm a procrastinator so the world doesn't end for me until Dec 22nd."

vanilla said...

Chuck, "great minds" and so forth; I did not see that cartoon. Truth.

Grace, I like it!

Vee said...

Now we wait for the next end of the world prediction.

vanilla said...

Vee, yep. The failures of the past predictions to materialize will in no way stop the proclivity of mankind to making such unwarranted proclamations.

Sharkbytes said...

Who would even have known without the media. Such a lot of fuss over a non issue. Maybe the worst I've ever seen.

vanilla said...

Shark, but it is the job of the media to make much ado about nothing. Isn't it? What disturbs me more is what they ignore.