Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Once and Future Matron


This picture is old, but not as old as it is supposed to look.  It was not taken in the nineteenth century, but rather c. 1990.  The lady is my BBBH and the gentleman is her late husband, Jim.  Now, you might ask, why am I going through the dusty old personal archives to post a picture of my spouse with her first spouse.  Well, I do stuff like that.

And here is the crux of the matter.  You might infer from this photo that the couple knew how to have fun.  You would be right.  I, on the other hand, not so much, which has necessitated a life-style adjustment for the lady.

Not that I've not had to make adjustments of my own.

Jim and JoAnn where high school sweethearts.  They were married when he was nineteen and she seventeen.  They grew up together, and thus it was that they developed a sense of fun centered on things they chose to do together.  They had five beautiful children, all of whom they raised to adulthood.

I had travelled a much different road, developing my own set of preferences; and I was already sixty-five years old when Beautiful and I were wed.

Yet I am happy to announce neither of us has killed the other, and we are still together more than twelve years later!  Now that is an accomplishment.

5 comments:

Jim said...

If you keep at it, I'm sure one or the other of you will succeed at doing the other in! :-)

Shelly said...

And a wonderful accomplishment, indeed. Congratulations, and here's to many more~

Secondary Roads said...

You're doing well. Keep it up--if you can. :)

Lin said...

I'm sure you are a little bit of fun or she wouldn't still be there, right? ;)

Hey, just got off the phone with Chuck--we are talking about a meet-up this summer. Would you travel for that? Fire up the motor home, Vanilla!

vanilla said...

Jim, well, so far, so good!

Shelly, thanks. We keep moving ahead, one day at a time!

Chuck, we hope to do the best we can.

Lin, well, maybe fun is not a totally alien concept. A meeting with you and Chuck sounds great! Keep me posted.

Vee, thanks. Wish we were going to be with you tomorrow.