Saturday, May 19, 2012

James C. Lehrer

Today is Jim Lehrer’s seventy-eighth birthday. 1934 was a very good year. I know Mr. Lehrer in the same way that most people know him. I have never met him, but he seems a friend. My introduction to him was by way of the McNeil-Lehrer NewsHour on PBS. Over time it became PBS NewsHour hosted by Jim Lehrer. Then I read one of his memoirs, I think A Bus of My Own. I graduated to his fiction and sailed through numerous stories created by his fertile mind. I believe he has published twenty or more novels. I think, though, that he would consider himself a serious journalist first, and a novelist by avocation.

 Then certainly everyone who cares a whit about our country and its leadership has seen Mr. Lehrer in his role as moderator of Presidential debates, for he has become the constant in those interchanges, and he has been called the Dean of Moderators.
  He seems a fair-minded man.

 Happy birthday, Sir. You have shared your talents with us, and we appreciate your efforts.
Image, Wikipedia


5 comments:

Vee said...

We were discussing Jim Lehrer and his contributions around the table last evening, and we did not know his birthday was coming up. Fine journalist!

Shelly said...

I did not know he wrote fiction. A happy birthday to him~

vanilla said...

Vee, I believe that is called a coincidence.

Shelly, a man of many parts, one might say.

Sharkbytes said...

I don't know much about him- just heard the name.

vanilla said...

Shark, we all travel different paths, know different people.