Friday, February 12, 2010

Lady Jane

February 12, 1554. Execution of Lady Jane Grey.

"Good people, I am come hither to die, and by a law I am condemned to the same. The fact, indeed, against the queen's highness was unlawful, and the consenting thereunto by me: but touching the procurement and desire thereof by me or on my behalf, I do wash my hands thereof in innocency, before God, and the face of you, good Christian people this day." and therewith she wrung her hands, in which she had her book. And kneeling down she turned to Fackenham (the dean of St Paul's) saying "Shall I say this psalm?" And he said "Yea". Then she said the psalm of Misere mei Deus in English, in most devout manner, to the end. Then she stood up and gave Mistress Tinney her gloves and handkerchief, and her book to Master Bruges, the lieutenant's brother; forthwith, she untied her gown. The hangman went to her to help her therewith; then she desired him to let her alone, and also with her other attire and neckerchief, giving to her a fair handkerchief to knit about her eyes.

The woman was but sixteen years of age.

Lady Jane Grey 1537 - 1554 RIP
Portrait: Artist Unknown
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum

No comments: