Thursday, January 7, 2010

Great Snow of '78

I found an envelope in my desk tagged "Blizzard of 78." Inside were strips of 35mm black and white negatives. I no longer have equipment to print negatives via wet chemical processes, and I don't know anyone in the area who does this anymore. So, onto the scanner, into a folder in the computer, and with a good deal of "messing around" with two or three programs, I managed to "develop" these images.

The first shot shows me in front of our house. The rest of the pictures were taken at the school shortly after the snowfall stopped. I had to walk over a mile, through drifts and all, to get to the building.


From the inside looking out.

This January snow was delivered by winds in excess of sixty mph, and the howling went on for hours. There were still remnants of this snowfall on the ground in April.
As I write this in the warmth of my cozy home, though it is 11 degrees outside, I hear the "forecast" for a nasty storm to start tonight. It is not anticipated to be anything like the blizzard of '78, but for me, even four or five inches of snow is more than enough!


Rejoice! Aunt Fern is 90 today!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

WOW...that was a snow storm.
andrea

Secondary Roads said...

We were snowed in for a couple of days from that storm. Maybe I'll put some shots up tomorrow.

leigh hewett said...

How cool to find those negatives. That was quite a blizzard.

Leigh

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Ah yes, I was in the hospital for that storm. The staff all had to work like 3 shifts because no one could get in or out.

Vee said...

Wow, great pictures! I need lessons on developing negatives on the computer.

RamblinMan said...

I too remember that storm. I also recall being dumb enough to go outside without shoes or socks. That is one time I remember getting into trouble.

vanilla said...

Andrea: And in my opinion, once in a lifetime is enough!

Chuck: Looking forward to your pix.

Leigh: One never knows what will turn up, especially if he's an inveterate packrat.

Sharkebytes: Getting stuck at work in those circumstances has to be like a living nightmare.


Vee, Thanks. I'll forward my "procedure" to you via email.

RamblinMan: We are so thankful you didn't "catch your death of cold." It is among parents' jobs to take all the fun out of a good snowstorm?!