Saturday, January 16, 2010

Andrew Wyeth

Christina's World, Andrew Wyeth, 1948
I am neither an art expert nor an art critic. I guess that's two names for the same thing. But, to coin a phrase, I know what I like. Along with Winslow Homer, Andrew Wyeth has long been one of my favorite American artists. Christina's World is probably the most well-known of Wyeth's Christina series. It is certainly my favorite.
There is much that is personal in the appreciation of a work of art; and thus it seems that one revealing too much about his perceptions of a painting is a bit of an exhibitionist. Perhaps, too, it requires a bit of voyeurism on the part of the reader to impel him to study another's perceptions. Or perhaps this applies only to certain works of art. Technical analysis and categorization by "school" or "style" is one thing. The visceral reactions and innermost feelings of the viewer are quite another.

Andrew Newell Wyeth July 12, 1917 – January 16, 2009 RIP

No comments: