Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Pruning

I am pruning the crab apple tree.  Note that I did not say "I pruned the tree."  And why would that be?
I started the job Monday, wore myself out and bruised my left forearm a good bit.  I took Tuesday off.  Today I went back at it, lopping and sweating;  I'm exhausted.

I think I have the job at point such that I can finish it tomorrow, if I live that long.


I am now at that stage of life that my daddy told me about, the time when it takes three days to do a three hour job.

6 comments:

Lin said...

Oh my gosh! Looks like you lost a battle!! Be careful...that tree seems to be doing down with a fight.

vanilla said...

Lin, it's not so bad as it looks-- I bruise very easily. These were the result of bracing the arm against the sill as I held the lopper pole.

Jim Grey said...

I suppose you're fortunate your father lived long enough to be able to pass that wisdom on to you!

Secondary Roads said...

At this stage of life we do tend to bruise easily. God's way of telling us to slow down? I'm beginning to feel that time your daddy described is coming my way.

vanilla said...

Jim, yes, I was fortunate in that my father lived to a ripe old age. This particular bit he passed on to me when he was about the age I am now. His phrasing, "I can do anything I could ever do but it takes me half-day to do a thirty minute job."

Chuck, slow down, or don't bump into things.

Secondary Roads said...

Fortunately, I'm slowing down. Unfortunately, I keep bumping into things. Or do they bump into me? Some days I'm not sure.