Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Gun Control at Home

 We keep a close watch on this house of ours
Someone is awake at all hours
She sleeps in  the daytime,
I sleep through the night.
In our house you'll always find a light
God lights it by day, Duke energy at night.

Most anytime that you drop by
You'll be greeted at the door,
I with my Magnum or she with her forty-four.
You will never see the heat if your mission is benign
But if you are bent on mischief
------.
 
Daddy taught me early on:  Never interrogate an interloper before you pull the trigger.
I think his words were, Shoot first, ask questions later.


7 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Alternate title: Knock Before Entering.

Lin said...

Carjackings are the thing now here in Chicago. So you'd have to conceal carry...and then they question YOU as to why you pulled the trigger.

vanilla said...

Chuck, any civilized well-intentioned person would do that.

Lin, It has become a miserable world in which we live-- or perhaps it always has been; there are just so many now who've no respect for others.

Sharkbytes said...

Dad kept a loaded shotgun under the bed. Anyone who knocked on the door after dark (we lived on a main road and had many people with car trouble) was greeted by dad and the shotgun

vanilla said...

Sharkey, smart dad!

Vee said...

Since Papa had his rifle locked away in a closet and I never saw him answer the door with same, I have to assume this was one of the many sayings he quoted.

vanilla said...

Vee, perhaps you caught me out. Maybe it wasn't Dad who said that.