Monday, November 27, 2017

Provisions and Prosperity

     A few years ago an acquaintance and I had an exchange discussing the sixth chapter of Matthew's Gospel.  One of the comments was
 
I think the treasures we have as Christians are laid up in heaven, as Jesus said. From a scriptural standpoint, "the rain shall fall on the just and on the unjust." This says to me that God's riches are not apportioned to the righteous only, but mankind shares in them. As for the portion we are to receive, Jesus said God knows our needs even before we ask. Our needs will be supplied. As for our "wants," perhaps we need to get a rein on that horse. Tough to do though; my spouse tells me "If I want it, then I need it." Well, that may work on me, but I don't believe we deal with our Heavenly Father in that way.

     This Sunday last the pastor's message was based on the same scripture.  Link to sermon notes:

 http://bobwarr.blogspot.com/2017/11/first-things-first.html

4 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

I'm pretty sure we "need" very little. Most everything is in that "want" column.

vanilla said...

Shark, societal conditioning: economy based on consumerism.

Vee said...

My prayers include being thankful for enough. As a volunteer, I visit with people who are asking for help to heat their homes. Being cold is something I have not experienced and it makes me sad to know that others in my community live in want.

vanilla said...

Vee, we are blessed with enough, and in fact abundantly beyond that. Thanks be to God.