Saturday, September 5, 2015

Hunstable and Moore


A mystery unfolds yet remains a mystery.  Last Thursday  I posted a picture of my great uncle William H. Lawson in front of his shop in Big Stone Gap, Virginia.  Included in the packet of pictures given to me was the above picture labelled simply "Bill Lawson."  I can see that one of these gentlemen could be a younger version of the shopkeeper in Thursday's photo.

But here is the mystery.  Remember that I know nothing of Mr. Lawson's career other than the line in the obituary of his mother and the snapshots I am sharing.  I attempted some online research and found that Hunstable and Moore established a bootery in Dallas, Texas about 1885 or 1886.  As the only other leather works with a similar name that I could find was a Hunstable firm in Berrien Springs, Michigan, I might, correctly or erroneously, conclude that this picture was from Dallas.  Now I do know that Mr. Lawson was born in Tennessee and died only a few miles away in Virginia.  But I do not know that he ever traveled to Texas.  But he might have done.  So the mystery remains.

Any Lawson descendants who can shed light on my mystery?

The Moore of H & M died in 1894. Some shenanigans, apparently an outgrowth of admixture of business and personal funds, landed the firm in court, the proceedings and outcomes of which are much too convoluted for me to explain.  Heck, for me to understand.   Since I've no personal interest in H & M and since it happened over a century ago, I gave up reading the court documents long before the end.. 

Word of the day: admixture

8 comments:

Lin said...

Very cool that you have some history here and got these treasures to try to figure it all out. I love these photos.

Grace said...

I can see the resemblance...

vanilla said...

Lin, old pix like this fascinate me. They often tell a tale even if one doesn't know the participants.

Grace, I think so, too.

Ilene said...

Facebook. You can find out anything you want to know on facebook, and more. :)

vanilla said...

Ilene, respectfully disagree. I find very little of what I want to know on facebook, and much that I don't want to know, or is totally false or inaccurate. But i like the pix and sayings of your grandkids and stuff.

vanilla said...

Faithful Readers: I found this in the Dallas, Texas city directory for 1884.

Lawson, William H., shoemkr Hunstable Boot & Shoe Co., r 107 Bryan.

So Uncle Bill did wander off West for a time in his life.

Brad Hunstable said...

The Hunstable shoe making in Michigan is the same group in Dallas. From my understanding their father started a company in Michigan and the two younger brothers eventually moved to Dallas to start their own with Moore.

Brad Hunstable said...

From my understanding the group in Dallas originally came from Michigan. A shoe concern was started by a Hunstable in Michigan. Two sons eventually ventured to Dallas to start with Moore.