Sunday, August 24, 2014

Flowers and The Word


I like dahlias  A lot.  I have never had much success with growing them.

This year I put in a few.  The results are quite satisfactory.

The red and yellow is quite unusual, but I really like the white one.






The sedum is at a fun stage, white turning to pink.











The hollyhock is near the end for the year.  The simple flower has long been one of my favorites, perhaps because it was the one truly showy flower we had in our yard when I was a child.









I have no idea what this flower is.  Planted along the foundation among a bunch of other stuff, it produced one or two flowers at a time all season. But no two were the same color!  Some little bug
enjoyed this one, perhaps even more than I did.













The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.  --Isaiah 40:8 (KJV)

14 comments:

Vee said...

Beautiful flowers! I really like hollyhocks, but rarely see them in yards anymore.

Living in a hot, humid climate means spectacular beauty during the summer. It always makes me a little sad when they fade away.

Grace said...

Gorgeous flowers (okay maybe not the sedum, I always thought those things were weeds)...

vanilla said...

Vee, I think hollyhocks are regarded as a "heritage flower" by some, relegated to back alleys and Victorian homes, and as weeds by others.

Grace, by my definition, a weed is a plant one doesn't want. Then, to you, sedum is a weed; to me, it is a flower.

Lin said...

It has been an odd year for flowers. First all the cold and snow was very hard on the perennials....then the cold and wet was not great for the flowers.

I have sedum near the pond and the frogs are having a field day. All the bees, butterflies and flies are gathering on the blossoms....and they end up as dinner.

vanilla said...

Lin, and tomatoes. Though they yielded quite nicely, and are still producing, they have yellowed severely in the past four days. Fall is a comin'. (Did you miss my froggy post on Saturday?)

Lin said...

Yep! I forgot about the tomatoes---the plant is wilting and dying. I thought it was just mine.

I think I missed the frogs...I will go back and check now.

Shelly said...

What glorious flowers! They are only a dream here this time of year.

vanilla said...

Shelly, thanks. One of the pleasures of living in the Midwest. However. You have flowers there when things are snowcovered here.

kc bob said...

Beautiful flowers. Methinks you have a green thumb!

vanilla said...

KC Bob, thank you for stopping by to enjoy the flowers. Greenthumb? Methinks more like we got lucky this year. ;-)

Secondary Roads said...

Love that red and yellow! Stunning!

Our seedum look much like yours.

For Vee -- Our hollyhocks are no longer in bloom. I'll try to post a pic next year--just for you.

vanilla said...

Chuck, that is one gaudy flower. Our hollyhock show was very limited this year-- the pinks were the only color we had.

Sharkbytes said...

I love single hollyhocks and dahlias too (but I'm no good with things that have to be taken up every year). Thanks for sharing

vanilla said...

Sharkey, there is a nostalgia factor going on with me and single hollyhocks, specifically memories of folding the petals around a bee intent on gathering the nectar, then holding the flower up to the ear to listen to the angry (frightened?) buzzing. Of course I freed the thing when I was through playing with it.