Friday, July 26, 2013

Save the Trees

For some time now I have been 1) puzzled; 2) irked, and 3) amazed when I find one of these stuffers in a mailing.


1) Puzzled.  What part of "blank page" do these people not understand?  Get a grip; a blank page is, by definition, blank.

2) Irked.  I know.  I shouldn't let such petty things annoy me, but that is just part of who I am.  No apology forthcoming.

3) Amazed. I am shocked that people who run major corporations allow such blatant stupidity to function on their premises.  I am amazed that people who should know better actually assemble and approve such nonsense.  I am stunned to realize that some of the same people who probably decry deforestation for paper production are actually using trees to stuff mailers with "blank" papers.
I could go on, but a good rant should end before the reader tires of it.

THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY FILLED WITH RANT

9 comments:

Jim said...

I'm right there with you.

20-mumble years ago I was a writer for a software company. Our customers were telephone companies. Our documentation followed "the Bell standard," a format that all telcos use(d?) for their technical docs, and they prominently featured THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK.

I was young. I was full of piss and vinegar. I went on a holy jihad to excise that stupid sentence from our blank pages -- which actually weren't blank anyway because the document title and page number appeared on them anyway.

You would not believe the fear I encountered. Mature adults reduced to quivering masses, saying, "But, it's the Bell standard! Our customers expect our docs to follow it!"

So I quietly started leaving this sentence off the blank pages in my work and glory be, the world didn't end.

vanilla said...

Jim, I so appreciate your sharing this story. You at least made an effort to inject some sanity into the process. The world didn't end, nor, apparently, did too many people get the message. Nice try.

The envelope contained four sheets, pages numbered one through eight. The "blank" sheet, two sheets of boilerplate policy which comes with every mailing, and the sheet which contained the information I needed. The forests are crying out.

Anonymous said...

The blank page is definitely a waste of resources, the statement that it is blank intentionally is to let you know that you are not missing anything, the printer didn't run out of ink and it is just what it is - blank...

vanilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Secondary Roads said...

This comment intentionally left devoid of meaningful content.

And I mean it.

Shelly said...

Flippant waste like that bothers me to no end. I honestly think it's a sin, and for no good reason.

vanilla said...

Chuck, I think you have successfully made your point. Points.

Shelly, one truly does have to wonder about the world in which we live.

Anonymous said...

I would think a blank page represents the mind or the person sending it. Bob

vanilla said...

Bob, I believe you have nailed it.