Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pushing the Stone

I read an instructive little tale a few weeks ago.

An old man died and went to heaven.  He stood before the Lord who greeted him, “Well done!”  “What?” the weary old soul yelled.  “You told me to push on that boulder.  I pushed for forty years and it never budged an inch!”  The Lord replied, “I told you to push, I never told you to move it.”

I believe all too often we look back on our efforts and assess our work as falling short, thereby allowing discouragement to hinder our future efforts.  Further, I think that if we follow the Lord's directives, it is not in our purview to assess the results, for that can only be tallied "on the other side" by the Master who assigns the tasks.

Jesus may have addressed this when a would-be follower begged leave to make a detour before following the Lord.  "And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."  (Luke 9:62, KJV)



2 comments:

Shelly said...

To obey is better than sacrifice, especially when we don't add our own questions and assessments to it.

vanilla said...

Shelly, the unvarnished truth.