Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lay Down the Load

June 30

Twenty-three years ago today I was officially superannuated. Closed out the career.  Retired.

Thanks to time off for good behavior and other favorable considerations, I had actually turned in the keys a few days earlier.  But the record shows June 30, 1990 to be the official retirement date.

You step off the train.  The train moves on.  It is bound on a journey which brought you to this point, but you cannot go now where it is going.  You may go somewhere else by some other means, but that train is gone, and its destination is not your destination.

The beginning of the twenty-fourth year of retirement sparks a bit of reflection.  I am not one for "what ifs" or "it might have beens."  In fact, regrets make up a very tiny package, and I do not carry it with me.  Thus I do not regret that my portfolio might have been more impressive had I stayed longer on the ride.  I not only do not regret, I revel in the choice I made, I rejoice in my journey along the byways that that train does not travel.

"The laborer is worthy of his hire."  Work is not life; it is an honorable provision of the means for living.  To those who ask, What do you do with yourself?  I say, I am living.  I am abundantly blessed.




8 comments:

Jim said...

I've got a good 20 years go to before I reach the generally accepted retirement age. People nearer that age tell me I'll feel differently then, but at this point I can't imagine not working. I like to work. I can see myself not doing what I do now at some point but I can't imagine not doing something. Right now, my plan is to retire only if my health limits my ability to work.

vanilla said...

Jim, retirement times and routines should fit each person like a finely tailored suit would fit the man. Here's hoping you can work happily until age 85 if that is your desire, or that you have the wherewithal for a comfortable retirement at 55 if you are so inclined!

Secondary Roads said...

I got off the train over a dozen years ago. It was a good ride, but I prefer to walk along a back road.

vanilla said...

Chuck, a fine and health-inducing mode of transportation in one of the world's select places!

Lin said...

Wahhhhhh! I want off the train too!! I've got a way to go yet, unfortunately...and some college tuitions to pay for yet. :(

vanilla said...

Lin, your day will come; and the kids' life prep remains front and center for now. It's all good.

Sharkbytes said...

I wish I was better at being content with the "just living" part, but so far I have to keep doing things for earning a buck, so the "do-ing" is required.

vanilla said...

Shark, keeping bread on the table and a roof over the head is an important part of life!