Sunday, September 9, 2012

What, or Who is the Antique Here?

Porky's Show and Shine Saturday morning in the park.  This is ostensibly an "antique" car show, and some very pretty vehicles there are, too.   The problem for me is the definition of  "antique."  At the time I first got interested in cars, I thought of antiques as vehicles which were built pretty much before I was born.  (Please understand that some of our friends and neighbors owned Model A Fords which were their principal drivers.  A nearby neighbor had a 1938 Dodge pickup truck which was practically a new vehicle.)

At any rate, as I cruised through the park I noted that most of the vehicles on show were straight from an era which represented the cars I was driving in my forties and fifties.  What?  Well, it seems that this state has long defined antique vehicles as those that are twenty-five or more years of age.  This would make the 1987 Buick Grand National, yep, an antique, and certainly all specimens from the seventies qualify.

I'm telling you, things just aren't what they used to be.




This I would consider "antique."  It was made the year I was born.

7 comments:

Jim said...

I'm starting to see this now that I'm in my 40s. I'm okay with muscle cars from my 1970s kidhood being called antique, but when I start seeing 1980s sporty cars at the big classic car auction I go to every year I struggle with that. I know I'm gonna struggle mighty hard if I ever see a car like my current ride considered an antique.

Shelly said...

I agree. Things made before I was born are antiques, while things made during my lifetime are...er...contemporary.

vanilla said...

Jim, just to prepare you for the shock: expect to see your current ride on the "antiques" list.

Shelly, I like your definitions. (Of course that would make many of your antiques my contemporary items?)

Jim said...

I drive a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, the top trim level with the most powerful engine of what is otherwise a glorified hatchback. So if any version of my car is gonna get saved, it's this one.

Secondary Roads said...

Shelly makes a good point. Was that 25-year antique come from adults or juveniles? Just asking . . . :)

vanilla said...

Chuck, in the case of juveniles, anything day-before-yesterday is antique.

vanilla said...

Jim, I don't know whether to commiserate or advise you to store it in anticipation of its coming day. {just kidding}