Friday, June 17, 2011

Camping in June




We had a wonderful five days away from home base while this blog ran on autopilot. Our destination Sunday afternoon was Miami State Recreation Area on Mississinewa Lake. We arrived early enough to pretty much have our pick of campsites. We chose the same spot we had last year. As you can see in the above collage, the choice of vehicles is quite varied-- different strokes for different folks. The vardo was hand-built by a very interesting couple, both artists. His medium of choice is water colors, hers, fabrics which she creates.




The young man who drove the Challenger camped in a tent with his son. We drive the class "c" and Gary and Janet whose ultralite has travelled the nation almost always bring flowers to brighten their spot.




There was lots of firewood burned, and I hope to get the woodsmoke aroma banished from my person really soon. I may be the only member of the entire entourage who doesn't "get" campfires. Although I have to say I cooked a pair of t-bones to perfection Wednesday night on the campfire, much to the envy, and snide remarks of the brat-eaters and burger broasters. If you got it, flaunt it.




The weather was not without its interesting moments. Wednesday morning we awakened to a deluge. It went on its way bime bye but not before we had slept away a major portion of the day!






And on our final morning, we arose to a beautiful sunrise. This view is of the eastern sky just moments before the sun crested the treetops.



A safe and uneventful trip home was the capsheaf to a great week!

4 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, color me envious!!! How I wish it was me camping there too. Sigh.

While I don't like the smoke of a campfire, I do like how we all just sit and relax when we make one. There is just something about sitting and watching the fire.

Vee said...

Glad you had a nice time. Jackets in Indiana in the summer? The weather must have changed there.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

T-Bones are my favorite if I'm going to do a slab of meat, and Mississinewa is a beautiful place.

vanilla said...

Lin, okay, sitting around the fire visiting with friends and family is pretty cool.

Vee, as Forrest might have said, Indiana is the chocolates box of weather.

Shark, it is a beautiful place, the steak was great, and a good time was had, etc., etc.