Friday, April 1, 2011

Our Neighbor to the (Far) North

Nunavut was carved out of the old Northwest Territories in 1993, and officially became a Federal Territory on April 1, 1999. Nunavut holds one house seat and one senate seat in the Canadian Parliament.
The population density is 0.04 people per square mile of land area. Put another way, there would be about 25 square miles of land for each inhabitant, man, woman and child. Think you could find enough space there? Nunavut is the largest of the territories and provinces of which Canada is comprised, being about the size of Western Europe. It is also the least populous, with about thirty thousand people. Alert, Nunavut is the farthest north of any permanently inhabited location in the world.


Map: Wikipedia


What do you call a resident of Nunavut? Nunavutian? Nunavutan? Canadian.

5 comments:

Pearl said...

I had no idea!

Pearl

vanilla said...

Pearl, STSTT: repository of both the arcane and the trivial. You never know what you might get.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I keep telling my husband we need to move there. As long as there's the Internet, I don't care HOW barren a place is.

Anonymous said...

I think I would be ratheer lonesome.


Bob

vanilla said...

Rebecca, you and Hubby could rattle around your fifty square miles like two peas in a boxcar.

Bob, a bit too isolated for my taste as well. Too cold, too.