Thursday, October 15, 2020

What's the Point?

Twelve years ago today on a rainy night in the middle of Missouri I made my first blog post.  Here it is in its entirety.

 "Traveling Life's Road

"In Missouri at the end of a very rainy day on I-44.
Watching the 'debate' between two pretenders to the seat of power.

"There will be a tomorrow; but what are we going to do with it?

"For myself, I plan to get back on the highway and head on to Indiana.
But that's not what I mean."

I was right on at least one count: there has been a "tomorrow."  There have been many tomorrows I can see looking in the rear-view mirror.  I could scarcely have imagined even had I tried what those tomorrows would hold.  My retrospectroscope is so much more accurate than is my crystal ball.

When I first wrote on "String Too Short to Tie" I had a beautiful companion who shared my life, almost my every moment since that day.  Now I am alone.  Who would have predicted that?  I am older than she was, I am male, two factors that say I should have preceded her to eternal rest.  But the twists and quirks of life, the unexpected, in a word, is exactly the principal composition of life on this orb.

The past twelve years have been a joyous journey.  The companionship with my beloved is now but memories, wondrous and wonderful memories.  My proclivity to sit at the keyboard and pound out word after word, stringing them together to provide entertainment or enlightenment, if not for other readers at least for myself, seems to be shrinking, even as the body itself and probably the mind as well is in that stage of life where shrinkage seems to be the norm.

One who has read this far might well ask, "What is your point, vanilla?"  To which I would be compelled to reply, "Not everything has a point."  And I could go on from there to cite example after example from life in this day and age which surely would support the assertion.  i won't.

Be well, and keep the faith!
Sincerely,
vanilla
12 years and 2876 posts later




3 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Congrats on your twelfth blogaversary. Mine's coming in January.

So much has changed in that time. I'm so glad to have shared a mostly virtual, but also face-to-face, friendship with you since we found each other online. God bless you my friend.

vanilla said...

Chuck, you, sir, have been a major factor in making this a worthwhile journey. May the Lord bless you as well!

Lin said...

There are many occasions when I ask myself why I continue with the blog as the days of exciting (?) things happening...or anything happening worth journaling..are pretty much nil, thank you Covid. Now, I just sort of record for posterity or to remind myself what I did on such and such day.

I like the interaction of what few readers I still have and I like visiting their blogs too. I can't stand FB or the like--too angry and divisive. Nobody is mean on their blogs, so I continue on checking in on my friends.

Keep on truckin', David. We are all still here reading!