Thursday, April 5, 2018

Second California Trip

Our next family trip to Sunny Southern California occurred either a year or two years later than the Santa Fe trip described earlier, I think in 1943.  We took the Rio Grande Road through the Royal Gorge (which was a mere eight miles from our domicile) and over Tennessee Pass, on into Utah where we changed trains in Salt Lake City.

The most striking thing to my nine-year old mind was the crowded conditions on the train.  This was at the height of World War II and troop movements were being facilitated by every means available.  The train was overflowing with troops, most of whom were in fatigues and carrying huge duffel bags which were used as bolsters on which to lie as they filled the aisles.  Every available space seemed to be filled with a human body or its belongings.  Actually, I don't remember much more about the journey.

My sister, Vee, in a comment on the previous post, reminded me of a number of things I might mention about our visit to Ventura and the San Fernando area.  She recalled the black paint on the top half of the auto headlights and the fear of bombing by the Japanese.  Add to that my recollection of the dirigibles floating in the sky with cables hanging down in which to entangle any undesirable aircraft.  She also mentioned that the kids were admonished to be quiet so as not to disturb the neighbors.  I did think it odd to have strangers living on the other side of the wall in the same house.  Duplex, I think they called it.  Our Indiana friends call them doubles.

It was at Ventura that I first saw an ocean and I must say I was duly impressed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Denver_%26_Rio_Grande_Western_Depot_in_SLC_-_Feb_3%2C_2011.jpg 













Rio Grande Depot, Salt Lake City


7 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Such high adventure.

Lin said...

I love that Vee can add to this too! It's fun to have someone else add their memories to jog yours.

vanilla said...

Chuck, had some good times in my childhood!

Lin, sharing memories enhances the experience. I am fortunate to have someone (Sis) in my life whose memories and mine are shared memories.

Vee said...

Takeaway related to this trip was that we were not home to get our parts for the Christmas program. So, having learned a new song in California, I sang "This Little Light of Mine" for the program. At least this is what I think happened. Did you sing with me or maybe I dreamed this?

I do remember the soldiers being on the train and that you were allowed to wander around with Dad and stand at the back (maybe on the caboose). I had to stay with Mom. I don't think I had started to school yet when we went on this trip. Of course, no one went to kindergarten, so I was probably almost six. This was the trip when I first remember playing with Uncle Ernie's kids.

When you, Mom, and I went to California (road trip style) with the Meyers, I learned a new birthday song for celebrating birthdays in Sunday School. I always liked it but it never got over the mountains to our space. It went something like this:
"A happy birthday to you, a happy birthday to you. May you feel Jesus near every day of the year. A happy birthday to you, a happy birthday to you, the best that you've ever had."

Guess songs are what impress me most!

vanilla said...

Vee, it makes me happy that we have shared memories, yet they are not identical. Which is to say I don't remember the Christmas program issue. Dad and I did indeed stand on the platform of the rear car which actually was not a caboose but a passenger car. I think.

Sharkbytes said...

neat memories- and a sister to bounce them around with!

vanilla said...

Sharkey, it is good to have a sister who keeps me from allowing my imagination to run away with me.