Thursday, December 4, 2014

How the World Works, 21st Century

A few weeks ago, I searched the interwebs for a halogen light bulb, even going so far as to click on a vendor and check out the prices and availability.

Fast forward to the present.  When I open various pages on my browser, pop-up and sidebar ads for architects' lamps abound.  Now, one realizes that we are monitored, and that advertisers impinge themselves upon us at every click, but does it not seem reasonable to believe that were I going to purchase any such item I would have done so, well, weeks ago?

There may be a built-in expiration date, though.  About a year ago, I searched for a mother board for a flat screen TV set which was malfunctioning.  The ads for TV sets finally petered out some months later.  We'll see what happens with the lamps.


9 comments:

Vee said...

It's the whole "wearing down" thing. My kids used to pester me with, "Mama, please." Computer advertising is modeled after pesky kids.

Grace said...

Sweetie, honey, darling - Since it is the 21st Century there is no need to see advertisements - anywhere. Regardless of your choice of browser there is an Ad Block program to suit you.

(I had to buy xenon/halogen bulbs yesterday on-line because it seems stores don't carry them much - 1000bulbs.com)

vanilla said...

Vee, I think you put your finger on it. This is so because the vendors hire pesky children (programmers) to create the ads.

Grace, no need, that is, for the computer savvy such as yourself. Thanks for the bulb link.

Secondary Roads said...

It's most annoying when I purchase an item online, and then for months after I see ads for the same or similar items. Like you, I just ignore them.

kc bob said...

So sad but so true.

vanilla said...

Chuck, ah, well. Perhaps it is a small price to pay for the webbie fun we have.

KC Bob, can't all be beer and skittles, I reckon.

Lin said...

A few years ago a fellow blogger was writing about some obnoxious sheets featuring skeletons of animal heads and I clicked on the link to laugh at them. I can't tell you how silly it was to see those damn sheets appearing on the sidebar for months later.

I find it amusing--that's how stupid that is--to see something that you would never buy continuously fed to you. Oh, those retailers are so smart, aren't they? Nope.

Sharkbytes said...

whatever you search for will dog your heels for months. I try to just ignore it all.

vanilla said...

Lin, some vendors seem bent on being as annoying as possible; but we might as well be amused-- there it is.

Sharkey, the sidebars are easy to ignore; the pop-ups, less so.