Friday, February 28, 2014

My Aunt Fern

I got a call from my cousin, Pat.  It was not unexpected, but she conveyed the sad news that her mother, my aunt, had passed.  Aunt Fern was the last member of my parents' generation, so far as family is concerned.  Our generation now boasts the oldest members of the family.  This is not surprising, for most of us are great-grandparents in our own right.

My Thursday posts for the past several months have been fictional accounts of events on the High Plains in an earlier day.  Here, in her honor is my Aunt Fern's obituary.  It is a non-fictional account of one person's life on the High Plains.


Fern Lacy
1/7/1920 2/23/2014


Fern  Lacy

            

Fern (Hendrix) Lacy, 94, passed away February 23, 2014 at the Belmont Senior Center in Pueblo. She was born on January 7, 1920 in Syracuse, Kansas to Weaver and Nelle (Carter) Hendrix. She was the fifth and youngest child. She married Ben Lacy on May 14, 1939, and began their married life in The Towner and Sheridan Lake areas.  He preceded her in death in 2010.

Fern spent most of her early school years in a little country school. Her parents were living on a farm outside of Syracuse at this time and Fern rode a horse to school. In 1931, Fern’s parents decided to move to Colorado. There was more grassland for their growing cattle herd. On May 1, 1931, when Fern was 11 years old, they began the 60 mile journey to their new Colorado home. Fern rode a horse the entire way, driving a herd of cattle. This trip took about 6 or 7 days. They settled southeast of Brandon, Colorado, where Fern rode 14 miles on a school bus to get to the Brandon school.

In the summer of 1935 a “new boy” moved in to the neighborhood. This new boy was to become Fern’s husband for 70 years. Fern and Ben organized a country/western dance band, the Prairie Ramblers, which became a popular dance band. Fern began teaching 4-H girls to cook and sew. On July 1, 1954 they bought a home in Las Animas and lived there until they retired and moved to Canon City. Ben was elected as the Bent County Assessor, a job he held for 19 years. Fern became active in her church and many clubs and organizations. She continued teaching 4-H girls. She also taught Sunday school for many years.

She is survived by her children, Pat (Wilber) Thomas and Duane (Elsie) Lacy; seven grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren and one great, great-grandson, plus a host of friends. She was preceded in death by her parents and husband.

Peacock-Larsen Funeral Home and Arkansas Valley Crematory is in charge of arrangements. 



   Funeral Service: Saturday, March 1, 11 am
                       Visitation: Saturday, 9-11 am

                              Place: Peacock Memorial Chapel

7 comments:

The Cranky said...

...and angels sing thee to thy rest.

Unexpected or not, it still hurts, you have my condolences.

Vee said...

Beautiful lady. She will be missed.

Shelly said...

What a wonderful woman. Hers was a life well lived. My sincere condolences to the family.

Grace said...

A long-lived and well lived life. she has earned her rest...Sincere condolences.

Secondary Roads said...

Beautiful woman and an interesting life. FWIW, my late mother-in-law was born the day after Aunt Fern.

I am sorry for your loss.

Sharkbytes said...

Interesting. Although my "cousin" Helen still has the one SIL (my cousin Jean's mom) living- leaving one in that generation by marriage, I feel a if that generation is gone. I shouldn't. I actually know Nan better than I did some of the others.

Sounds like Fern was part of a great heritage. I knew another woman named Fern once. I like it.

vanilla said...

Jacquelineand, thank you.

Vee, a wonderful family member. Truly missed.

Shelly, Aunt Fern lived long, but more importantly, she lived well.

Grace, thank you. We all love Aunt Fern.

Chuck, thank you. Must be 1920 was a good year.

Sharkey, relationships are interesting. For the most part, I felt I had closer ties to many of my aunts and uncles than I had to their children, my cousins. Well, the older folk were kind and gave me guidance along the way, whereas my generation was heading off to all points of the compass.