Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Conversations with Random People: With a Twist

The twist:  This time I was approached by a stranger rather than the other way around.

We had endured two or three of the hottest days of the year, literally.  Then the cold front moved in. The next morning I stopped at Alco to check out an item they had advertised in their flyer.  (Not suitable, as it turns out.)  Anyway, as I entered the store, a rather large fellow, fiftyish, wearing a t-shirt and bib overalls walked through the door just ahead of me.

As I exited the building several minutes later I saw the same man opening his truck door.  When he spotted me he closed the door and came over to me and said, "Is there a Goodwill store in this town?"

"No," I replied.  "But we do have a used merchandise store called "Second Blessing" right down town.

"Do they sell clothing?" he asked.  "I need a jacket; I am freezing to death."

"They do, but they don't open until noon."

"Well, I better go back in here then. Thanks."  And he walked back toward the store.

It was sunny 60o, 10:40 a.m.  I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

7 comments:

Vee said...

Okay, I agree with the man. Sixty degrees is jacket weather.

Secondary Roads said...

Must have been the bib overalls.

Sharkbytes said...

In Haiti, they put sweaters on the babies at 74- it's all your perspective (and blood thickness and enzymes)

Grace said...

Short sleeves and 60 - yeah maybe a light jacket...Freezing to death - I'm thinking maybe the guy was exaggerating a bit - he was obviously a Summer sort of guy...

Pearl said...

Sixty degrees and he's cold?!

Bwa ha ha ha ha!! This makes the woman in Minnesota laugh.

:-)

Pearl

Shelly said...

I'd be freezing, too!

vanilla said...

Vee, seriously?

Chuck, oh, yeah; the bibs would make a difference.

Sharkey, and this is true: different coats for different folks.

Grace, he would have been an extreme summer sort of guy.

Pearl, yes, you would get a laugh from that. You are welcome.

Shelly, perspective; and what we are used to. See: Minnesota vs. Texas. (I'm from the Land Between.)