Saturday, May 25, 2013

Jus' So



Walt Kelly, Gone Pogo, 1961

I was reading the blog Murrmurrs and Murr asked this: Pogo Fans: Can you help? A reader wants to find the original source of a quote I attributed to Albert The Alligator. It was "funny how a handsome man look good in any old thing he throw on." If any of you have old Pogo books with this particular strip, let me know.

This sent me to my Pogo collection in search of the requested tidbit.  I have yet to find it.  (Lots of books to wade through... mostly swamp water, in retrospect, but still.)  Meanwhile, I came upon the above panel, a poignant reminder of the reason I was so enthralled with Walt Kelly in my formative years.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Pogo had such wisdom cloaked in those comic strip frames~

Secondary Roads said...

I used to enjoy that strip. I'm not sure that I always understood the message, but I enjoyed the strip nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

It was more than a bit over the head of a child...I have just spent way too much time scrolling through on-line Pogo strips - can't find the one you are looking for but have realized how political it was...There is one I keep seeing and liking...

vanilla said...

Shelly, Kelly gave us a lot to think about.

Chuck, it was a very political strip.

Grace, I got "onto" Pogo in my late teens. The politics and the humor just tickled my adolescent fancy, I guess.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I loved Pogo, even though I was a little to young to understand all of it.

vanilla said...

Sharkbytes, Pogo was very political, and yet the creatures and their antics were fun even for the young.