Wednesday, March 20, 2013

'36 Ford




I spotted this '36 Ford across the parking lot.  Clearly it was a Ford, and I was able to identify the model year by the distinctive rear bumper and tire cover.  By the time I had camera in hand, the driver had entered and started the car.  As I raised the camera, a truck came between me and the subject, the Ford backed out of its space and took off across the lot.  The shots are at a distance and cropped.

My interest extended beyond the fact that this was a nicely restored example of the marque.  When I was about eight years old, my dad traded his '28 Chevrolet for a '36 Ford.  Rather than the five-window coupe, though, he had a more sedate sedan, befitting his position as minister and his needs as a family man.  Dad drove this car through WWII, trading it, as I recall, in 1947 for a '41 Chrysler.  The speedometer did not work, and I recall that Dad timed his travels against his wristwatch.  Reading a sign that would say, for example, "Peyton 21" he would plan to be in Peyton in 21 minutes.

In the bottom picture, note the three chrome strips along the side of the hood.  There are three on the other side as well.  In our town, there was a young man who had a similar Ford.  Dad's car had the chrome strips, the youngster's car did not.  He was envious.  He had cash.  Dad needed cash more than he needed chrome strips.  He sold the six items for what he thought was a good amount of money.  I don't remember how much it was, if I ever knew.

Another '36 Ford entered my life during my teen years.  My best friend, Wes, bought one during our senior year of high school.  I took my first ever driver's exam in that car.  I did not get a car of my own, though, until I was 21.  It was a five-year old 1950 Ford with nearly 100 thousand miles on her.

11 comments:

Jim said...

Great find!

And a five-year-old '50 Ford with 100k on the clock had to be essentially used up.

Shelly said...

Now that is a wonderful car, and how terrific that you got to see one in this day and age.

vanilla said...

Jim, I believe that Ford had 123,000 on it when I traded. Nice running vehicle!

Shelly, I really like to see cars 50 years old and more being used for drivers.

Secondary Roads said...

My dad had a '37 Ford sedan. After WWII, he bought a Kaiser. He couldn't buy a Ford at the time. I think he took that thing to the repair shop almost every Saturday.

vanilla said...

Chuck, my Kaiser was a '53, a pretty good car. Well, except for frequently blowing a head gasket.

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous looking car...

vanilla said...

Grace, I really like the lines, too. Back in the day, designers were artists, I think. Today's cars all look alike. Better, more efficient cars, but not much to look at.

Sharkbytes said...

A classy looking car but before my time. Actually I like the looks of '41 Chryslers.

vanilla said...

Shark, Dad's '41 Chrysler was a "Club Coupe" or 5-window coupe with a backseat. Really good looking car.

Vee said...

Did the sedan Ford have the wheel cover on the back and was it black? I think I recall a car Dad owned that had a wheel cover.

vanilla said...

Vee, I believe you are right on both counts. Well done! (Or maybe it was a really dark blue?)