Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Butler and Other Funny Business

Samuel Butler was an English author, born 1835, died 1902.  My attention to Mr. Butler was directed by my re-reading of  Poor H. Allen Smith's Almanac in which I found this snippet:

"On his deathbed Samuel Butler indicated that he wanted to say something, and what he wanted to say was that he had once written that life was ninety-nine per cent chance and now he wished to correct this figure to one hundred per cent."

A couple or three* additional Butler quotes:

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but a little want of knowledge is also a dangerous thing.

All Animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it.


A drunkard would not give money to sober people.  He said they would only eat it, and buy clothes and send their children to school with it.

*Did I ever tell you about the third-grade teacher on my staff whom I could drive up the wall by incorporating the phrase "a couple or three" into the conversation?  She was a very nice young lady from Michigan upon whose ear certain "Hoosierisms" grated, and hence the dickens that lives within me could not resist planting them occasionally.  Where are you now, Lauren?  Well and happy, I hope.







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hate to tell ya (and Lauren too) - but my father, a first generation Italian American from the Bronx used to say " a couple or three" as well...

I was familiar with all those quotes (Yay me!) but didn't know who said them (or maybe I knew once...?)

Shelly said...

I think I need to find more Samuel Butlerisms. He sounds like someone who knew how to keep things in perspective~

vanilla said...

Grace, oh, but I am glad you told me; I feel vindicated to be in such good company! Lauren may be less than thrilled.

Shelly, he exhibited some signs of wisdom on occasion.

Pearl said...

I never give money to the sober. :-)

Pearl

vanilla said...

Pearl, wise lady. Did you learn that from Butler, or did you intuit it?