Saturday, September 10, 2011

Festival


I rode the bicycle to town and took care of the standard Friday errands. Then I passed through the Pork Festival venue around the Courthouse Square. It was a drizzly afternoon, and not much going on. A few young families strolling around with their children, the kidlets getting their faces transformed into monsters by the face-painter. No booths, though, were doing a land-office business. Most of the carnies were sitting in the back of their booths smoking, lending the acrid reek of cigarette smoke to the atmosphere. And it had been such a lovely day, the aroma of rain caressing the parched leaves on the too-long dry trees.

One supposes the vendors were either silently cursing the weather, or optimistically hoping that by eventide the weather might clear and the crowds would grow. Good luck to them, but I'm still praying for rain.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seriously hope one day to live in a place where I can ride my bicycle into town.

So, if there's a midway at the Pork Festival, do they call it the Amusement Pork?

vanilla said...

Jim, I hope you achieve your desire for smaller town living.
"Amusement Pork." Good one. The "midway" is one block long, out of the way, and I like it that way.

Vee said...

Little towns are a great places to live. The town where we formerly lived is having "Frontier Days" now. I miss going to that.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Boy is that a typical Indiana county seat! Rain comes and goes, carnies will be here forever. Or something like that.

vanilla said...

Vee, we like it here!

Shark, that sounds about right to me! Forty-two years ago, I didn't imagine the thing would last more than two or three years.

Lin said...

I would like the tents with food and such, but I can do without carnies. Blech. How is that old fashioned rootbeer?? Any good?

vanilla said...

Lin, I like to take my A&W at home, over vanilla ice cream! Mmmm!