The scripture lesson is Matthew 19:3-6.
The Seasons of Marital Relationships
1. Romance. Emblazoned across the forehead: "Love Stupid." Two people meet, fall in love. It is a picture-perfect relationship, unlike every other relationship. It is a match made in heaven. Experts say this season lasts two and one-half years.
2. Reality. One (or both) realizes that the mate he thought he could never have is someone he can never get rid of. This stage lasts two weeks.
Three Great Skills of Lifetime Lovers
- Remembering that we're different. Remember what we like about each other. Recognize that we talk differently, think differently.
- Asking. Ask for and grant forgiveness. The real issue: pride.
- Deciding. Love is based on the decision to hang in there, not on feelings.
You will repeat these stages all through life.
Read I Corinthians, chapter 13.
You will live mostly happily ever after!
Assignment for this week.
If you are married, sit down with your spouse and review and renew your marriage vows. For better or worse; for richer or poorer; in sickness and in health; love and cherish so long as you both shall live.
If you are single, choose a skill and put it into practice. 1) Affirming differences; 2) Forgiving; 3) Decide to love and keep on loving a close friend.