"We are never going to be the persons we can be without first receiving God's love, then reflecting His love," Pastor Doug tells us as he introduces the message for today. "You cannot give what you don't have."
The scripture lesson is I John 4:7 - 19.
Five Principles of Relationships
1. When people have profound experiences they want to share them. (v. 12)
2. An encounter with God's love is a profound experience. (v. 12)
3. Those who live close to God find that their love for others is always increasing. (v. 16)
4. Love eliminates fear. (v. 18) When there is no fear, we stop competing, stop depending on others for validation.
5. We love because He first loved us. (v. 19)
I Peter 4:8 Love overcomes a multitude of sins.
How does one get close to God? Simple: 1. Hang out with Him. How? Read His Word. 2. Hang out with others who love Him. Be in church where you can fellowship with other Christians.
You will become more like Christ. The more you love God, the more you will love people.
Two Challenges for the coming week.
1. Have you accepted the Lord? Pray the prayer of confession of his Lordship and ask Him into your heart.
2. Married? Ask the Lord every day to show you one way to love your spouse. Do it.
Single? List six family members, co-workers or friends. Each day ask the Lord to show you one way to show your love for the one on the list whose 'day' it is. Do it.
Happy Birthday, Great grandson Caleb!