Monday, August 17, 2009

Time Warp

Very funny. Our local jeweler keeps us entertained. Showed you the "engagement truck" sign a while back. This sign takes me back to my days in front of the classroom.

Last period of the day. Eighth grade math class. This group is the "band section." It has been demonstrated that there is a positive correlation between musical ability and math ability, which is to say this was a bright bunch of kids, but disadvantaged by being in a last period class. That is, the kids, and the teacher, had already been through six other class periods.
Keeping their attention a top priority, the teacher is performing brilliantly. In the course of the exposition, he makes a statement that inspires Jack to inquire about an issue that is not germane to the lesson, but related to the topic. Teach understands that this is a valid question and responds, and I quote, "I don't know right off-hand, but I have that information in my drawers. Give me a chance to look for it."

No reaction, except that I note that fourth seat back, far right hand row, Jane has a wicked sparkle in her eye and the formation of the grin on her face tells me she is about to let go. I make eye contact with her, hard stare, glower as if silently to say, If you do, you're dead. She relaxed, I relaxed and proceeded with the lesson.

This has been one of my favorite "teacher" stories over the years. Were I to meet Jane somewhere today, she would be fifty-eight years of age and probably would have absolutely no memory of this incident. And I would not remind her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have let her laugh! I guess that's why I'm not a teacher!

vanilla said...

Yeah, but I had to maintain control of that bunch for another 25 minutes. And I've laughed about it a lot since then.