Sunday, August 2, 2009

Little Girls

Two of my favorite little girls when I was a little boy were Little Lulu and Little Audrey. No, no. Not the cartoon Little Audrey who was a knock-off of Little Lulu, but rather the one who lived in the '30s and found everything to be funny, no matter how disastrous the circumstances.

Little Lulu, a cartoon character, was created by Marjorie H. Buell. Fun times.

Little Audrey just laughed and laughed.

Little Audrey's brother saw a quarter in the road and ran out to get it. Just then a steamroller came along and rolled over him. Little Audrey laughed and laughed, because she knew it was a nickel, not a quarter.....

Little Audrey told her little brother to pull the pin, count to ten, then throw the hand grenade. Then Little Audrey laughed and laughed, because she knew her brother couldn't count to ten....

Little Audrey and her mother went into a chemist's shop, and saw a puddle. Her mother asked what it was, and the chemist said :"That's H20." Little Audrey laughed and laughed, because she knew it was K9P....

Little Audrey and her mother were going down the highway in the car. The door flew open and her mother fell out. Little Audrey just laughed and laughed, because she knew her mother had on her light fall coat....

Little Audrey was standing on the sidewalk crying; a policeman asked her what was the matter. She said, I can't find my Papa. The policeman said, There he is across the street. Little Audrey ran across the street in front of a bus and was squashed flat. The policeman just laughed and laughed, because he knew the man wasn't Little Audrey's Papa....

[and Happy Birthday to one of my favorite little girls, my baby sister, Ilene, who is no longer a little girl... and I just laughed and laughed]

8 comments:

velvetwoods said...

Oh little Audrey reminds of itchy and stratchy from the Simpsons but they just did horrible things to eachother while laughing.
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Secondary Roads said...

That kind of humor could get a person fired today. Makes me believe all the more in the principle of entropy.

vanilla said...

velvetwoods, thank you for visiting mine!
Chuck, "an absolute limit on the best possible lossless compression of any communication"? I had to look that up. Pretty much what one would expect from an engineer applying mathematics to linguistics? You are right: those were definitely pre-pc days. Surely glad I got to experience them.

Lin said...

I LOVED little LuLu and her friend, Tubby. Nobody remembers them when I talk about them! Thanks for posting her--I knew I was not crazy!

Anonymous said...

I have decided to use Little Lulu for my obit photo. Yup, I love her. It will also settle all those in our small town that say awful things about people's photos. EX. Boy, did she have the wrinkles. Look at those funny glasses. What on earth were they thinking when they chose that photo? He was old when he died, why a photo of him when he was young? And it goes on and on. The element of surprise and smiles is what I want....Thanks so much. Have a sweet day.

vanilla said...

Anon, there you go then. Looks just like her, the'll say. Smiles all around. Wishing you a good day. too.

Anonymous said...

I am 63 years old, my Mom who passed away a couple of years ago. Would say when something funny happened... "And little Audrey laughed and laughed". I never knew who little audrey was until now. Thanks for the blog. My mom has gone, but little Audrey will always be laughing... At least with me.

vanilla said...

Anon, I'm glad you found this bit. Perhaps it will enhance the memories you have of your Mom. Visit us again at STSTT.