Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Jabberwocky

You seem very clever at explaining words, Sir,' said Alice. `Would you kindly tell me the meaning of the poem called "Jabberwocky"?'
`Let's hear it,' said Humpty Dumpty. `I can explain all the poems that ever were invented -- and a good many that haven't been invented just yet.'
This sounded very hopeful, so Alice repeated the first verse:

`'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.'
...

Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?'
`I read it in a book,' said Alice. `But I had some poetry repeated to me much easier than that, by -- Tweedledee, I think.' --Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

The ellipsis represents the explanation that Humpty Dumpty and Alice contrived. Do you remember it?


[and Happy Birthday to daughter Ivanelle (Ivy). It ends in "0"!]

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Ivy! I hope you have a grand day!!

I love your full name Ivanelle. That is unique. I have never heard it before!!

Congratulations on your day...I hope you enjoy!!
Jackie:-)

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, Ivy! Hope you have a blessed day.

vanilla said...

I have passed your good wishes on to Ivy. Thank you, and I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Vee said...

Love this picture of Ivy!