Friday, August 28, 2009

Mother's Birthday


Mom was born on August 28, 1908 in Hartman, Colorado. Or maybe it was August 27. So near to midnight, no one checking the exact minute, that the date was never certain. By the time someone looked at the clock it was the 28th, so that is the day on which she always celebrated her birthday. Today marks the 101st anniversary of her birth, and she was taken from us eighteen years ago.
Mama taught me to read by reading to me. She mopped my fevered brow when I was too sick to move. She taught me the basic principles of right and urged me to shun the wrong. She sometimes switched my little legs when I misbehaved. She patched and laundered and ironed the clothing; she cooked the meals and canned the produce for the winter months. She prayed for her children that they would follow the Lord. She set the example.
She was not only a mom, she was a wife, a preacher, a counselor, a teacher. But there are not enough words in the language to convey to you the strength, the character, the love of this woman I called "Mama," and "Mom," and "Mother."
She is loved and missed.

Vera Lauretta Morrell Lacy 1908 - 1991 RIP

4 comments:

Andrea said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful mother!
Blessings, andrea

Vee said...

She was truly a wonderful mother and Godly woman. Thank you for remembering her today with your beautiful tribute.

Shelly said...

Brought a big lump to my throat. The epitome of what a mother should be~

vanilla said...

Shelly, thank you. I was blessed to have had a wonderful mother!