Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sammy Reshevsky

Samuel Herman Rzeszewski (Sammy Reshevsky) was born in Poland in 1912 and died in New York in 1992. From the time I was 11 or 12 years of age, Reshevsky was my hero. I read about Capablanca, Morphy, Staunton, and all the other "greats," but I credited Sammy with "teaching" me the game. By the time I was sixteen I frequented the public park where the game was played, largely by old timers who had plenty of time on their hands. By the time I was a senior in high school, I had played a one-time state champion to a draw!

In my adult life, I found the game to be a wonderful pastime for many years, until the constraints of the profession withdrew from me the time to engage in it properly. I had the pleasure of teaching a number of children the game. I hope some of them pursued it into adulthood. The best performance I had in tournament play was in a county tournament, where I was runner-up. I had a winning position in the final game, but lost it through haste. Never hurry the game. (I have a doggone second-place trophy to remind me of this in perpetuity.) Never show mercy; never continue play in a clearly lost position, resignation is the more honorable course; and never, ever throw a game.
Samuel Reshevsky 1912 - 1992 RIP
Andrea at "arise 2 write" gave me this award. Thank you so much, Andrea.
"Neno's award is given to those who love blogging, love to encourage friendships through blogging, and who help others seek the reasons why we all love blogging."
Some of the encouragers I know in the blogosphere are Chuck, Mikki, Elizabeth, Crotchety, and Jennymac. All y'all come by and pick up this award y'hear. Because you deserve it.

3 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Thank you Vanilla. I am deeply honored to receive this award from you. Congrats on your mastery of chess.
-- Chuck

vanilla said...

Chuck,I wish I could say "mastery," but it certainly was a pleasurable part of my life!

Secondary Roads said...

It's okay. I said "mastery" for you. It's better that way. 8-)

I've posted the award on Secondary Roads today.