"Gossip is the passing on of information to another person who is neither part of the situation, the problem or the solution to the problem."
Thus, Pastor Doug defined the subject of this morning's lesson. The scripture is from the Epistle of James, chapter three. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Verses 6 - 8.
>Gossip says more about oneself than it does about the subject.
>One who will gossip with you will gossip about you.
WHY DO WE GOSSIP?
1) We believe information is power.
Reality: information brings responsibility.
2) To make ourselves feel better about ourselves.
Drag others down to build ourselves up?
SEVEN TRUTHS ABOUT GOSSIP
1) Hurts those affected by it. Proverbs 16:28 Gossip separates close friends.
2) The Bible says shun a gossip. Proverbs 20:19 Avoid a man who talks too much.
3) Gossip usually stirs up trouble. Proverbs 26:20 Without gossip a quarrel dies down. Jesus said, As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
4) Gossip is a basic depravity of man. Romans 1:29 lists indicators and behaviours which are indicative of man's depravity, and gossip is included in the list.
5) Gossip is a sign of idleness. 2 Thessalonians 3:11
6) Gossip corrupts the whole person. (v. 6)
7) A gossip needs to have his life transformed by the Holy Spirit. (v. 8) No man can tame the tongue.
This message, emphasized Pastor Doug, is not an encouragement to you to be better in the area of gossip, but rather an exhortation to you to allow the Holy Spirit to change you!