Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ready for Winter Rest

Our fields for the most part are harvested and ready for the winter layover. We can see for miles in most directions.
This is literally the last leaf clinging to the weeping cherry in front of the house. (Remember O. Henry's story about the Last Leaf?)

But the Bradford pear is still a palette of many colors.


And this, the largest tree in front of the house, is being quite ornery. See the leaves on the ground? I'd like to rake them and get them off the grass. But look at the tree. The bottom third is still in leaf, in green leaf yet. What is that about? Aggravation, that's what.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stubbornness! Tenacity! A never-say-die spirit! But I'm glad it's in your yard and not mine. I've already put my mower and tractor away for the winter.

Andrea said...

I, too am waiting for a winter rest.

Hope you have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving with your family.

Blessings, andrea

vanilla said...

Good lesson for me, Jim. I need to appreciate those good qualities-- tenacity, never-say-die-- and adopt them as my own.

Well, I went ahead and raked. Bonus: when the tree is bare, I get to rake again! More exercise. (Looking on the bright side.)

Happy Thanksgiving and blessings to you and yours, Andrea.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I love the single red leaf. Perfect. Nevertheless, I'm kinda thankful that I don't live in Indiana (been there done that)

vanilla said...

Thanks, Sharkbytes. It is beautiful in Indiana in the fall. Following which we escape to South Texas for the winter!