Friday, June 19, 2015

Just a campin' in the rain. . .

Off the ranch a few days this week.  Our campers' fellowship was scheduled to meet at Summit Lake. We belong to a hardy group, and notwithstanding rain forecast for virtually every day there was no doubt that many, perhaps even most of the group would show up.  It looked for a bit that we were going to be the washouts, for Sunday passed and we did not feel up to getting ready to go.  Monday came and went, and we still had not headed out

Tuesday, though, we kicked ourselves a bit just to get started.  We went.  The pictures are illustrative of the experience.

 What it is is rain.

 But in this case, it is smoke.  Elvin made his world-famous peach cobbler baked in a Dutch oven over an open fire.  Which was upwind of the tent.  It was worth it. Table games were played under the tent, and there were sunny periods between downpours.

 One of the preachers (there are two) in the group.  Richard is every bit as pleasant as he looks.

The firepit fishing hole on our space.  Bring your rod and lure, try your luck.


Wiener's opinion of the whole thing.

On the way home Thursday morning, we arrived in Sulphur Springs at 10:50 which was perfect timing for a stop at the Iron Kettle.  BBBH had a  beautiful everything-in-it-omelet with a lovely biscuit and hot tea.  I had the hand breaded grouper with baked potato and fruit, water with lemon.
Note to self:  Order that again.  One of the best pieces of deep fried fish I ever had.  The breading was better than dessert.  Which I skipped.


9 comments:

Vee said...

I'm with Wiener.

Grace said...

Weiner got it right but oh - peach cobbler! And grouper? Honkin' big fish, a tad on the ugly side and did I mention they are huge! (I lived in the Bahamas - grouper and conch are dietary staples. I never want to see or eat another bit of either)

vanilla said...

Vee, fuddy-duddy.

Grace, I am glad I am not burned out on fishy food. Yet on the other hand I never had the experience of living in the Bahamas.

Secondary Roads said...

I too am siding with Wiener. That grouper sounds great -- almost as good as grilled salmon.

kc bob said...

Looks like a fun time despite the rain.

vanilla said...

Chuck, fish was good but grilled salmon is a favorite. I'm

vanilla said...

Bob, good company trumps bad weather. So long as it's not too bad,

Grace said...

Funny conch story - I was walking through downtown Nassau, lunch time, streets crowded with tourists, as always. I hear this plaintive little American voice behind me say "But I don't want to eat no more conch" Makes me laugh to this day - I could totally empathize with that kid.

Conch in the Bahamas is like grits in the South - whatever you order you get the option of conch fritters on the side. Then there is conch salad, fried conch, conch soup, conch stew - if it has more than one ingredient then definitely one WILL be conch!

vanilla said...

Grace, that is funny. Thanks. I can see how after a certain length of time on that diet one might just want to conch herself in the head.