Sunday, June 28, 2015

Big Bird Syndrome #T

Turdus Migratorious, Junior
Still wears his spotted vest
As he bobs along behind
Papa Robin Redbreast.

Or perhaps it is Mother.
Hard to tell one from the other.
But the mission here is clear
Parent still feeds the little dear.

Below horizon sun has gone
The frogs are now in evensong.
The fireflies flit above the grasses
Their lights flickering on their

Abdomens barely brighter than the sky.

Parent cocks its head and Peck!
Grabs a worm by its neck
Or middle, or, oh, dear!
When from Junior, “Cheep!” I hear.

Mom or Pop as the case may be
Gives the worm to Junior and he
Downs it whole.  And “Cheep!”
Not a “Thanks” I think, but “More!” this peep.

Parent snares another drops it on the ground
Tells Junior “Pick it up, there’s no one else around.”
“Cheep,” says the brat.
Mom picks up worm and gives him that.

Silly bird, the lesson shirks
Watches Mama as she works.
This offspring is as big as mother
But has it made, reminds me of another

Species, homo sapiens Americanus
Century twenty-one, I think
ACHOO! I sneeze.
Both birds leap into the breeze.

Gone in a wink.

© 2015 David W. Lacy

10 comments:

Vee said...

This is great! I'm smiling on this Sunday morning and thinking about kids in school learning about food chains. The bunny eating the grass - ho-hum, but the fox eating the rabbit - protests.

Writer/Humorist, Shel Silverstein, wrote:

"Oh, if you’re a bird, be an early bird
And catch the worm for your breakfast plate.
If you’re a bird, be an early early bird--
But if you’re a worm, sleep late.”

Where the Sidewalk Ends was a Silverstein book i owned for many years gave as gifts to some of our grandkids.

Grace said...

Always learning something here - the Latin name for a robin this time. Nicely done poem and point.

Jono said...

So many things are the same in every species. Nice Sunday morning poem!

vanilla said...

Vee, I am so happy that you are smiling on a Sunday morning! Silverstein was one of my favorites, too. Elementary teachers get to have so much fun!

Grace, thank you so much. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Jono, Interesting observation. Yes, certain patterns and behaviors present in many different species.

Secondary Roads said...

It's fun to watch robins. Especially when they do their bibbity bobbity dance across the lawn.

vanilla said...

Chuck, I like the part where they tilt their heads to listen to the earth. Do they really hear worms beneath the surface?

Lin said...

Very sweet poem. :)

I love the robins, out hunting for worms in the rain. I sing "Robin in the Rain" (full voice) to no one. Well...for me. And them. Although, I imagine, it would scare them off if they heard me.

vanilla said...

Lin, thank you. I was watching a robin hunting in the rain a few days ago-- well they have to: much as it has been raining they would starve if they stayed in!

Ilene said...

Vividly written images. Nice! I am reminded of a an incident a couple of years ago, that happened with my then 3 year old grandson. I arrived at his house when he was in the yard playing with a worm. He introduced me to his "new friend" and wanted me to hold him. Having an aversion to the slimy things, I politely refused. Some time later, after he had sufficiently mauled his "friend," it was time to go inside. He insisted that he take the worm in with him. His mommy told him to leave it outside, that worms needed the outdoors and their dirt, because that was home to them. A few minutes later, his mommy, who was looking out the window, called me into the kitchen. She had witnessed the kidnapping of grandson's new friend by a robin. Of course this incident was was kept a secret from grandson.

vanilla said...

Ilene, the circle of life, or something like that. Perhaps little boys have a natural affinity for crawly things (curiosity). My mama worried herself silly (didn't she worry about everything?) that I would finally pick up the bug that could provide the fatal injection. Well, we did have centipedes and spiders! Still like spiders, centipedes, not so much.