Scripture reading, I Timothy 1:3-11.
Text: I Timothy 1:4, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
We approach the Bible with the assurance that it is the Word of God. The key is faith. We believe and approach the scripture by faith.
Your best teacher is the Holy Spirit.
- The faith approach is an historical position. The Book is your Guide.
- The faith approach is a biblical position.
- The faith approach is a practical position. It leads to godly edifying. It can be applied you your life.
- The faith approach is a powerful position. I John 5:1-4, For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (v.4) Faith is the victory!
How do we practice Bible doctrine in our lives?
- We must put obligation above the multitudes; that is, we should be obligated to the Book regardless of what people say about it. (Today, there is a lot of "preaching to the crowd," tickling the ears with sayings the people want to hear. Prosperity gospel, personal material blessings increase. Building the crowd instead of building the spiritual life.)
- We must trust God rather than our own message.
- We must keep our focus on doctrine, not on popular men. About false teachers, Isaiah 8:20b, If they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isaiah 55:11 God's Word will accomplish His ends, and will prosper.
Photo: Abbey Church, Stift Melk, 1984, D.W.Lacy