Sunday, September 26, 2010

Time Out

I looked and behold, time was no more. The much-needed restoration of the courthouse clock is now underway. Thank you, county commissioners. This is no small undertaking, but oh, how we love our old courthouse. The clock is such an important part of our downtown, whether or not you wear a watch.



When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound, and time shall be no more,
And the morning breaks, eternal, bright and fair;
When the saved of earth shall gather over on the other shore,
And the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.
--James M. Black

Yes, clock or no clock, there is still time. So, again as Black said, "Let us labor for the Master from the dawn to setting sun."

6 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

The clock of life is wound but once,
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.

-- Robert H Smith

Vee said...

I like the courthouses on the squares in Indiana county seats. They are all such beautiful buildings - and have the huge clocks. The days for building those kinds of structures are long gone.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

So many old courthouse clocks don't run anymore. I'm glad yours is being fixed. My chem professor used to maintain the one here, but he moved away.

Lin said...

Well, so much for time travel "Back to the Future" style! I think you need a broken townhall clock for that, don't you?

vanilla said...

Chuck-- A great verse, and lots of truth therein.

Vee-- For years I stopped and photographed each Indiana courthouse I might have passed. Of course it's been done, and published in a book titled, I think, The Magnificent Ninety-two, or something like that. Our local building was designed by the same architect that did the statehouse.

Shark-- Actually, our clock still ran. It is the faces and their backings which are rotted away.

Lin-- What a fun movie that is. But yeah, broken townhall clock and a precisely timed lightning bolt!

Rebecca said...

That's one of my favorite hymns. :D

I am so glad when communities pull together to preserve their history and legacy. I love clocks-- the church down the street has a chime that goes off every hour, and I just love it.