Thursday, January 19, 2012

Down in the Valley

















Thursday we successfully negotiated the highways between Rockport and Edinburg. No highway trip is without incident, but the good news is that the only "bad" incident we encountered had a happy ending.

As we drove from Rockport to Sinton, we encountered some pretty heavy misting which required the use of the wipers for a few miles. Long enough, as a four-inch strip of rubber flapped in the breeze, to remind me that I needed to change the wipers. In fact I should have done some time ago. So in Sinton we stopped at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. There a very pleasant young man named Ray asked if he could help me. I told him I needed new blades, but I wasn't sure that I could even remember how to change them. No problem, he said, let's go take a look. In a trice he had removed the blades, led me back into the store and matched the junk to the necessary replacement product. He rang up the sale and took my money. Then he took the new blades and headed for the vehicle, where he installed them, following which he offered me a big smile and a handshake!

Why have I related this apparently simple and routine vignette in the life in such detail? Simply this. It is truly refreshing to encounter a young person, for this genteman could scarcely have been more than twenty-one years of age, who is courteous, pleasant and makes one feel that he genuinely wants to help. Way to go, Ray!

Southward from Sinton along US 77 until we came to Texas Route 44 on which we headed west. This strip of road is designated "Cesar Chavez Memorial Highway." So now we arrive in the city of Alice at lunch time. And thus the incident.

We were in the restaurant next in line to place our order (no, it was not a burger joint) when I realized that I had no money and BBBH did not bring in her purse. So I told her what I wanted, then ran back to the RV to get her purse. (What? get my money? Get real.) Following the meal, we got back on the road, drove all the way across Alice and a couple of miles down US 281 where we stopped for gas. After filling, mention was made of the purse. Which was not with us. So, BBBH practically in tears, and I, not feeling so hot myself, drove back to the place where purse had last been seen. Beautiful went in. The hostess immediately brought her purse to her and said, I knew this was yours because I noticed your gorgeous yellow blouse when you were here. A lady brought this to me half-minute after you left!

This has gotten much too long, so I will conclude by noting that we have arrived in Edinburg, we have set up camp, and are planning to stay awhile!

6 comments:

Shelly said...

Great to know you all ran into such good folks. If you had continued south on 77 instead of heading west on 44, you would have come right through my neck of the woods. Edinburg is really a growing place. Have fun there!

Anonymous said...

On a day to day basis I find more kind, generous, polite people than I do their opposites...and I live on the horrible elitist East Coast in a nasty dirty old big city...I notice the rude and impolite more because they are the exception in general. Tho that does not stop me from talking about the kind and generous who are always such a delight...(the oranges the nice man gave us the other day were deliciously sweet in more than one way.)

vanilla said...

Shelly, we usually go via 77; took 44 for the novelty. Took some pix of a gorgeous spot in Kenedy County a couple years ago. http://vanilla-ststt.blogspot.com/2010/03/northbound-77.html
Thanks for the good wishes. We will enjoy.

Grace, in truth, I believe you are right in that most people are good people and kind to strangers. Makes me happy to read your testimony that even in the big city you encounter more good than otherwise!

Secondary Roads said...

I have a friend who works for NAPA who is much like the young man you encountered. It is great to interact with folk like that.

Sharkbytes said...

Small town people are the best! Glad that turned out all right.

Lin said...

Hooray! Such nice folks you encountered!

Uh, it snowed 8 inches today. I'm sitting by the fire, warming up after snow-blowing the drive, and thinking of you in all that warm. You aren't missing much, pally.