Friday, January 27, 2012

Citrus and Vinyl

Oh, the birds and the bees in the citrus trees tempting me to juicy fruit (Wrigley’s does not own that term!). We have sampled oranges and grapefruit from outside our window; and today BBBH came in wagging a hatful of tangerines from the north end of the park. As you can see, these particular fruit are very small, about an inch-and-a-half in diameter, but oh, what juicy flavor is contained within!

Later in the day in the south end of the park, I plucked a lemon, one of the smaller ones on the tree, which is almost perfectly spherical and just a bit over three inches in diameter.


A trip to the flea market at DonWes netted me two vinyl albums, one by Bonnie Raitt, the other by Cat Stevens. Not a bad haul for an hour of roaming through the aisles of stuff. As I was standing in front of the junk pile that was actually the one where I found these albums, I remarked to Don that it would be a real favor to everybody if the entire pile of stuff were given a home in a landfill. This elicited laughter from passers-by, from the vendor not so much, and then I found these treasures there. Who knows what languishes in a heap of trash? The vendor knows!

10 comments:

Shelly said...

Valley grapefruits and other citrus to me is just the best of the best. The Ruby Red grapefruits are really good. Nice finds with the records-

Jim said...

Ooh, vinyl! Even juicier than those tangerines.

Sharkbytes said...

I wonder if those are the ones they use for mandarin oranges. The little fruits are usually so flavorful

vanilla said...

Shelly, indeed! And I can reach out the window and pluck red grapefruit. Is this paradise, or what?

Jim, well, the tangerines are pretty special; but so is the vinyl!

Shark, I don't know, but I surely enjoy them. Just finished one.

Lin said...

I can't even imagine just plucking them off the tree to eat. YUM! Enjoy one (or two or three) for me, pally.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Such tiny fruits! All that effort to peel such a thing...

vanilla said...

Rebecca, very little effort to peel a tangerine, the skins are so loose. Often remove one in a single piece.

vanilla said...

Rebecca, very little effort to peel a tangerine, the skins are so loose. Often remove one in a single piece.

vanilla said...

Lin, we can reach out the window and pick red grapefruit! It is a different world down here.

vanilla said...

Lin, we can reach out the window and pick red grapefruit! It is a different world down here.